Tomorrow – a music video shoot of three songs for content and also an audition.
- Warm up on piano and voice – because it feels so good on piano, even if I won’t be playing in the shoot. This is a reward I give myself – it’s beneficial across multiple levels. Makes me feel good, brings me to my inner childlike state, and benefits my musicianship.
- Watch videos of MKO Sun performing live. That band and the singer, Hannah Macklin are my new inspiration. Great hooks and singing. Exploratory instrumentation. Transcribe MKO Sun’s vocal runs.
- Practice the pieces for tomorrow: Just You, Pulses, and Georgia On My Mind.
I feel a bit unprepared going into this because I haven’t given much time to practice this week. I’ve been working on the grants non-stop and relaxing in ways that I should not – procrastinating with going to practice and getting out the door on time. Self-motivation!
Warm ups on piano – scales. Woooph – Fm is a good one to practice! A good challenge to play it without looking at the keys. Now I see why scales are good. I develop muscle memory in my fingers that relates to the music I’m playing. I can move much more quickly through learning a piece and will arrive at performing it sooner.
Vocal warm ups: hums, ya 1234531 ascending with staccato descending. I use this with my students but rarely use it for myself – definitely an athletic exercise and important to do.
Practicing MKO Sun’s “Withoutcha”. Transcribing it on piano and transcribing the vocals. Learning new piano approaches for keyboard solos and rhythms, like a tremolo on an octave – what is that called? Hannah’s vocal runs move like waves in how they float. They’re fun to do when you figure them out.
Thoughts on the upcoming Brooklyn Arts Council SU-CASA songwriting residency with senior citizens. It is tied WITH my goal of being a better songwriter, pianist, and music director. I’ll use ideas from the seniors to inspire works that I’m writing my my next album. Plus, getting there early to warm up on piano and vocals 1) starts my day with my focus – musical mindset and good shape; 2) makes me feel more confident by being prepared.
Performance review of Monday’s gig at Winnie’s – feeling good with Georgia On My Mind. Here’s a bootleg recording from the gig. Tim (guitar) and Lars (bass) are stellar, as always. I like the vocals best when they come in on 3:15.
Plan for tomorrow’s video shoot:
- Arrive at Sage at 8:15am for a relaxed vocal and piano warm-up. Head out at 9:15am. Balloons.
- Just You – extend the bridge for riffing and soloing. Play midi keyboard for bridge? TC Helicon VoiceLive 3 vox hamonies.
- Georgis On My Mind
- Pulses – TC Helicon VoiceLive 3 vox hamonies.
Influences: MKO Sun, Oh Land, FKA Twigs